Information for Ethnic Minorities 2020
Group Working on Ethnic Minority Issues Established at the CEC
In order to promote the equal election environment for ethnic minority voters, by the ordinance of the CEC Chairperson a working group is created. The working group is composed of representatives of election administration, international and domestic non-governmental organizations, state entities and Public Defender of Georgia (invited representatives of relevant agencies dealing with ethnic minorities).
Coordination, Planning and Reporting Department of the CEC conducts coordinative activities of the working group.
The activities of the working group are being implemented under the decree of the working group on ethnic minorities adopted by the CEC Chairperson.
Activities to be implemented for ethnic minorities are envisaged in the CEC annual Action Plan.
Who can participate in the CEC working group on ethnic minority issues?
Representatives of non-entrepreneurial (non-commercial) legal entities having experience working on electoral issues of ethnic minorities are entitled to participate in the work of the Working Group.
How one gets into the working group?
A representative of a non-profit (non-commercial) legal entity formally submits a written request to the CEC Chairperson that the organization wishes to participate in the CEC Working Group on ethnic minority issues. In addition to the letter, the organization must submit:
- Information on experience of working with ethnic minorities and relevant materials / documentation;
- Name, surname, position, contact information (e-mail; mobile phone number) of the person participating in the group.
Temporary rule to ensure the participation of wheelchair user in the October 31, 2020 Parliamentary Elections (Article 200 – Election Code of Georgia).
Procedure for requesting an adapted / accessible polling station
Who is entitled to request an adapted polling station?
Wheelchair user is entitled to participate in the October 31, 2020 Parliamentary Elections at any adapted/accessible polling station in the territory of the relevant majoritarian election district.
How many days before the E-day shall a wheelchair user apply to the relevant election district or precinct election commission to change a polling station?
A wheelchair user shall apply to the relevant election district or precinct election commission no later than the 6th day before the E-day.
What is the procedure for the wheelchair user to change the election precinct?
To change the election precincts, a wheelchair user shall apply in a written form or orally to the relevant election district or the precinct election commission.
Materials available for voters of the regions densely populated with ethnic minorities on E-day:
- Ballot paper in Georgian- Armenian, Georgian – Azerbaijani, and at mixed polling stations (four polling stations) Georgian-Armenian-Azerbaijani languages;
- Unified voters’ list in Georgian-Armenian and Georgian-Azerbaijani languages;
- Rules describing the filling ballot papers in Georgian-Armenian and Georgian-Azerbaijani languages;
- Poster describing the polling procedures in Georgian-Armenian and Georgian-Azerbaijani languages.
Informing ethnic minority voters
- CEC ensures preparing the video clips on the services suggested for ethnic minority voters;
- All video clips are translated into Azerbaijani and Armenian languages and covered by the local media means of the regions densely populated with ethnic minorities;
- Voters residing in the regions densely populated with ethnic minorities may verify their data in the unified voters In Azerbaijani and Armenian languages. Please see the link;
- Ethnic minority voters may receive election-related information in Azerbaijani and Armenian languages at the CEC Call/Information Center (2 51 00 51).
Materials translated for ethnic minority PEC members
Trainers of the CEC Training Centre conduct intensive training course for the Precinct Election Commission members speaking in Armenian and Azerbaijani languages. The following manuals are translated for them:
- Instruction manual for the PEC members;
- Instruction for the PEC Chairperson;
- Authorities of the PEC Secretary on E-day;
- Duties of the PEC member regulating the voters’ flow;
- Duties of the registrar PEC member;
- Duties of the PEC member supervising the ballot box and special envelopes;
- Duties of the PEC member conveying the mobile ballot box;
- Training module for PEC members on electoral security;
- Rules to seal electoral documentation/equipment;
- Training module for PEC members on the etiquette and norms of conversation with voters with disabilities.
On Establishing Certain Election Measures and Sanitary and Hygiene Requirements for the Polling Day of the 31 October 2020 Regular Parliamentary Elections of Georgia / By-Elections of the Municipality Representative Body Sakrebulo / Extraordinary Elections of Mayors for the Purpose of Preventing the Spread of Infection Caused by the Novel Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) (COVID-19)